Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Ready for Spring

I don't know about the rest of you, but i'm going stir crazy with this weather. Well, work and weather. I knew I only had about an hour in between driving kids to different church things and all the normal Sunday obligations, so before I left, I grabbed my fly rod and camera. I figured it would be nasty out there, but I just didn't care today. Ohhhh and it didn't disappoint, 35 degrees and misting. And for the record, yes, this is considered white out arctic conditions for us Texans!

I made this fella two months ago and finally got to use him today.

 Even though I was still on a time crunch, it felt great to get out and throw around the camera and fly rod.

No fish today, but maybe this will tide me over for a little while until it gets warmer and work slows down. Sometimes you just have to get out and wander, even for only a little bit.

 Thanks for coming along,

Monday, February 9, 2015

Arsenal Rebuild

A few months before our Pecos River trip back in June 2014, I had decided I wanted to upgrade into a larger fly fishing setup since I was bringing a lot of my bigger poppers I made. I researched the frogs in the Trans Pecos region and found colors and patterns of that area to replicate. It was fun making them and day dreaming of the big bass I could catch with them. So I made a big batch, got a bigger fly box, and realized after my first trial run, my 8 weight setup wasn't going to do the trick. I found a 10 weight reel at a steal of a deal (i'm a poet and didn't know it) at a flea market near Abilene a year before. So I finished up the set with a 10 wt 9 foot Lefty Kreh rod, some way too pricey fly line and of course backing. I was set.


I only got to try it twice before it was time to leave for the trip. I felt very confident with this setup. Then of course the flood came on day 4 of our trip. We lost everything we had, and one of the victims of the flood, was my 10wt. Some items were found, but not many. My poppers were part of the group of things that they found 60 miles downriver and submerged for a long time. RIP

BUT...finally, after eight months, I have my 10 weight setup complete again. I had to piece it together since money's a bit tight. First the rod, then the reel, and late last week..flyline and backing.

It's about time. Now I just have to get on the water....and avoid anymore floods.

Thanks for coming along,

Monday, January 26, 2015

Beautiful Day...Stuck at Home

Yesterday was a gorgeous day. Mid 60's, light breeze. But my day was already spoken for with many activities that had nothing to do with fishing. I had about an hour, and since i've stream lined my tying kit to a very simple and portable setup, I can get things going quickly. So I setup...outside.

I was just messing around with a few things, and not getting in a hurry about much. It was beautiful out there. Short sleeves and natural light. (natural light as in the sun, not the beer). I had all my materials to start working on some spinning clousers I have been wanting to try and spent a ton of the time getting those itty bitty teeny weeny #12 crane swivels onto the #1 split rings. BTW, these split ring pliers are awesome. I got about two dozen ready to go with blades attached. Then I realize that my already narrow window to tie is closing fast. I tied a clouser real fast as a refresher before I started the spinners. 

 Then about the time I got my 60 degree hook in the vise, my wife got home with all the groceries in the car...and I knew at that point, my window to tie has closed. I had a ton of prior obligations to do and had to call it a day for tying. But it was still fun...while it lasted. At least I was able to get outside and think about fishing.


Monday, January 19, 2015

Poppin' Along

Every year I am the show photographer at the Big Bend Livestock Show. Normally I have some free time in the evenings. So this year I decided to paint up some poppers and bring all my junk to tie them up in the hotel room.

Here's one about halfway through the popper process.

Here they all are after finishing the drying process. Only thing left to do is get these fellas some clothes on.

It wasn't really a problem bringing all my fly tying gear because I have storage figured out thanks to not having a permanent place at the house. Besides the table and chair which I already bring, I have my big Plano tacklebox and my vise. A little bulky, but nothing too bad.

As I was sitting there getting things together, I realized with all the added space my hotel room had, I could work on a few fly fishing video projects I have been thinking about for a while. In my mind, it was only going to be a small part to the project i'm working on, but an important part since it could start with the beginning process of the tie. It was a little more time consuming than I expected, but was fun to play around.

After getting the video I needed, it was getting late so I hit the hay. I figured I could finish tying them up the next few days. Wrong. I was busy and getting back late each night. And I sure didn't feel like tying when I got back. So back in the box they went until another day. They did serve a purpose and i'm glad I brought them along. Now if I can just find some time to tie now that i'm back home.

Thanks for coming along,